Ringo Starr is uncool

Seriously, there’s no pretending that ex-Beatle Ringo Starr is any good.  Despite the fact that he was the least popular, and possibly the least talented of the Beatles, he’s now officially made himself a bad celebrity.

Ringo has officially come out to publicly state that he will no longer sign any autographs and doesn’t want any fan mail.  In fact, he’s apparently even said he’ll throw away any fan mail he receives in the future.

“Please do not send fan mail to any address you have,” he said in a video message on his website.

“Nothing will be signed after the 20th of October. If that is the date on the envelope, it’s gonna be tossed.

“I’m warning you with peace and love I have too much to do,” the 68-year-old drummer said.

Honestly, I get that it must be tough to be famous.  It’s not the easiest thing in the world to have people constantly bothering you to sign things.  Sure.  But I find there’s a big difference between getting approached on the street/chased by paparazzi, and another with getting fan mail sent to an appropriate address (maybe your management company?).

And sure, not all celebrities really sign everything, maybe most get their interns to do it.  But at the very least, respect the people that are your success.  Give them the illusion that you care.

So frankly Ringo Starr,  I don’t think you’ll have such a problem with people sending you a ton of fan mail anymore.  If you really had all that many fans to begin with.

6 Comments

• Debbie
    October 14 - 4:23 am | Permalink

I feel that part of being famous, is continuing to take even a bit of time to endulge the fans (those that have and continue to support you). It is almost like saying ‘oh I do not need you anymore – soo.. go away now’.

He needs to be careful – what was given, can be easily taken away. Never bite the hand that feeds you. What do I meany by this? How many albums, videos, etc.. were sold to fans? How many of these fans took the time to write and hoping that even if not responded to ‘was read’?

He should of simply rounded up volunteers, signed them to a few disclaimers and went this route.

• Ashley
    October 14 - 4:55 am | Permalink

Ringo was the luckiest Beatle. He had no talent and was still able to ride the Beatle’s wave of success.
    I’m sure that after this, he probably will lose most of his fans anyway. Maybe that is what he wants?

• jim
    October 14 - 5:46 am | Permalink

Oh give it a break will y’all!

This chap’s been signing stuff and parading in front of the fans for 40+ years.

If his time had come a decade or two later when rock stars became billionaires instead of millionaires he too could hide away like Bono or Travolta with their security armies and private air strips, etc., etc..

He just wants a break. Let’s see how anxious you are to open hundreds of fan mails a day, not to mention all the geeky junk sent for fondling, WHEN YOU are 68, eh! Yeah.

@Debbie: You have a good point … though I suspect Ringo doesn’t collect much on the old royalties since the “copy property rights” have changed hands several times. Volunteers might have been a better idea … but then Ringo always did like the dramatics, eh? 🙂 Hey, Ringo! She’s got a good idea, old chap!

@Ashley: Luckiest? I’d love to hear Ringo’s view on that.

• Immortal Synn
    October 14 - 6:15 am | Permalink

… certainly have to agree with Debbie.

Starr is the relic of a long bygone era. Most of today’s top selling musical artists weren’t even born back when he was on top. Hell, some of their parents weren’t either.

As we’ve seen soooo many times in the past, “celebrities” so very often fail to make prudent longterm fiscal strategies… so perhaps seeing that you no longer offer much for consumption/revenue, now isn’t the best time to tell what supporters you have left to essentially piss off? JMO.

• Angry
    October 15 - 7:40 am | Permalink

I couldn’t agree with you more! No one would believe that celebrities actually sign everything, but I think he still owes it to the fans.

And jim, you’re right in a few ways. He’s been at this a long time, and he’s just a human. In the end he gets tired and frustrated and annoyed like everyone else. I think the thing is that it comes part and parcel with being famous. If you choose to stay out of the limelight, then you won’t likely have to deal with this.

The author’s strategy of sending things to an authorized address (it may be harder than I think to hide your real home address, but other celebrities seem to be able to do it sometimes), may take the load off.

• February 25 - 6:07 am | Permalink

Thank you for your help!